Friday, November 15, 2013

Singapore in 24 Hours


Written by William November 9, 2013

Today we are in Singapore for less than 24 hours (awake time). We are staying at the Raffles Hotel because it was on my mom and dad’s bucket list. I think its pretty cool and fancy. Its really humid here; after 5 seconds of being outside, I was dripping in sweat, as if I was a big ball of sweat. We walked around the largest mall I have ever seen in my life, and surprisingly my mom didn’t break the bank there. We went to the top of Sand’s Hotel, which is made of 3 buildings and 2,061 rooms, which amazed me. They had a viewing deck up top, where you could see the entire country (which is an island smaller than Puerto Rico). We saw Malaysia off in the horizon; the sky was really hazy from pollution. We could also see the Singapore Flywheel, which looks like a big ferris wheel on steroids.




Then we went to the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel, where you could throw peanut shells on the floor and then step on them and make a big mess! I thought it was really fun crunching on the peanut shell pile my dad made. Everybody had Singapore Slings, but Charles and I had strawberry daiquiris made with real strawberries, not the Island Oasis pre-mix, and so I did not like them.



Tonight we went to the world’s first Night Safari, which had a fire dancer show. I imagine it was scary close up, but it was really cool from far away. My favorite part was when they spit the alcohol in the air and made what looked like a mushroom cloud of fire. Then we waited in line for 20-30 minutes to get on the tram, but it felt like 5 hours. We saw some deer, hyenas, elephants, tigers, lions, giraffes, zebras, water buffalos, hippos, and more deer. I thought it was pretty cool because it looked like the animals were in the wild (there were no cages), but there were electric fences keeping them from killing us. I thought Singapore was pretty cool, and I would recommend it. I have to go bed now because we have to wake up at 4am tomorrow.


Written by Charles November 10, 2013

Singapore=whirlwind.  I think twenty-four hours is the perfect amount of time to see a giant city.  What?  I don’t like crowds.  Even though the humidity practically made everyone shut himself or herself inside with the AC.  We were staying in the Raffles hotel, which I think is just a name.   It looked like it came out of the 18th century; I thought that it needed a major remodel. The electricity barely worked to plug in the computer. 




We first walked to the mall; well, we more like swam there.  We were dripping in sweat while just walking down the sidewalk.  We wanted to go to the Sands Hotel to see the observation deck, but we ended up in the mall instead.  We bought nothing, which I thought was a miracle because the mall was football fields long.  We found a way to get to the Sands Hotel through the network of tunnels under Singapore.  We got up to the observation deck and saw the whole skyline of Singapore.  There were lots of funny shaped buildings that I think the architects were trying to make famous.  The coolest thing we saw was Malaysia!  Yes, Malaysia!  Although we could only see buildings, I thought that it was cool that we could see across a country.

Next we went to the Long Bar at Raffles.  It looked like a house from a sugar plantation (on the inside).  My favorite part was the fact we could eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor.  I liked to crunch on the shells with my feet.  After that we went on the Singapore Flyer.  It was basically a giant Ferris wheel.  The guide said that it was taller than the London Eye.  It went as high as the tower, and we saw the same things.  I liked it because we rotated in our little pod/capsule. After that, we went to the world's first night safari.  First we saw a fire dancing show, where two guys spit fire at each other, trying to burn themselves to a crisp pile of ash.  Next we waited in line for 45 minutes for a tram that would show us lots of animals.  Halfway through the tour I realized that we were going to see most of the animals on the safaris in Africa.  The animal that I thought was funny to see in a zoo was the oh so rare North American Deer.  Overall I think that it was somewhat a waste of time, but I still thought it was cool.  P.S. FTG’s are really called Feather Tailed Gliders.





No comments:

Post a Comment